Vacancy offered as part of the University of Exeter’s BSc (Hons) Digital and Technology Solutions degree apprenticeship.
Location: Kingsbridge, South Devon
Apprenticeship duration: 4 years
Salary: £10,000 p/a (year 1), £13,000 p/a (year 2).Plus accommodation allowance for duration of apprenticeship. Subsequent years subject to performance.
Closing date: 1st August 2016
Interview date: 8th August 2016 onwards
Starting date: 1st September 2016
In partnership with the University of Exeter, Aspidistra Software is recruiting a Software Engineer to work in its team of software professionals to develop its ground-breaking business-to-business e-commerce product, and deliver bespoke functionality to clients.
Suitable candidates should apply directly to Aspidistra. Please send a CV and covering letter expressing your suitability for this role and reasons for applying to Paul Dorey – email@example.com.
For an informal discussion about the vacancy, please contact Paul Dorey on firstname.lastname@example.org or 01548 856583.
For further advice or guidance on degree apprenticeships, please contact Jonathan Critchley in the first instance, on email@example.com or 01392 724067.
The day to day work at Aspidistra involves:
- Adding new core functionality to our product
- Extending our product to work with other business systems
- Finding and fixing faults (bugs) either reported by clients our found internally
- Producing bespoke changes and applications for new or existing client.
As a junior programmer you can expect to carry out the following tasks
- Analysis and Design: You will analyze the needs of our clients before you begin change/development projects. You will assist in the analysis and design phase of the project.
- Writing Code: You will be responsible for writing the code of the change/application to be developed under the guidance of a senior programmer.
- Debugging: You will carry out the debugging and troubleshooting of the program. You will also record the results and identify the possible problems in the application.
- Documentation: You will often provide the basic user documentation to be use by the end users as well as internal documentation.
- Training the end user: You may help in training the users once the change/application is built and created.
The successful candidate will be taught by Aspidistra:
- Object Oriented Programming (.Net)
- Database and SQL Skills
- Essentials of Networking (TCP/IP, DNS, DHCP etc)
- Agile methodology
Furthermore over the four years the candidate will learn a great deal about business practises and accounting in his or her interactions with our clients (140+) as he or she helps them solve business problems. This will give him or her a great springboard for a career in business software development at Aspidistra or elsewhere.
Aspidistra Software Ltd is a privately held company that sells Shopfront, a Business to Business Ecommerce package that links directly into a company’s accounting and management systems.
Our customers are wholesalers, distributors and manufacturers; think of any large industrial estate with big buildings and that is where our customers are. We currently have over 140 customers and they sell everything from kangaroo meat to tyres, sailing boats to beads and paint to cricket bats. Between them they put over £100,000,000 of orders through our sites. We are growing at around 20% annually and will be having a new office built for us to extend into in mid 2017.
We are based in Kingsbridge, South Devon – a friendly market town at the top of the Salcombe Estuary. We have great access to water for sailing, surfing, kayaking and kite surfing. The beautiful countryside abounds with lovely places to walk, run and ride and great pubs to catch your breath in afterwards. We are about a 50 minute drive from the University of Exeter. There are frequent busses to Exeter, Plymouth and Totnes for access to the mainline railway to London.
Aspidistra is a growing company and the market it operates in, B2B ecommerce, is growing at 20+% a year so there is plenty of opportunity to grow within the company. This could be in one of several directions:
- Senior Programmer: Staying in a core programming role influencing the architecture and design of our product as it grows as well as working on new products.
- Project Manager: Working with our customers to deliver their B2B ecommerce web site, working with programmers, designers HTML layout developers, business analysts and 3rd parties.
- Sales/Account Management: Taking your technical skill into the sales area to find new clients or sell upgrades to existing customers.
Whichever way you progress, Aspidistra will reward performance with competitive salary and benefit increases.
Finally, if you decide to move on Aspidistra will have provided you with great skills and experience which will enable you to find a good position here in the UK or overseas.
Who we’re looking for
Candidates will be expected to satisfy the entry requirements for this degree apprenticeship set by the University of Exeter, which are AAB at A-Level, or equivalent. Where candidates are awaiting A-Level results, any offer made will be conditional on meeting the entry requirements.
Candidates are invited to contact the University to discuss their eligibility if required. Please contact Jonathan Critchley – firstname.lastname@example.org or call (01392) 724067.
Skills and attributes
Programming is both an analytical and a creative process, so we would expect you to have:
- Good Analytical Skills
- A good mathematics result
This is an apprenticeship, where you will be taught what you need to know but we will be interested in any experience you have in:
- Programming – at any level
- Computer construction or maintenance
- Installing operating systems
If your only experience is an addiction to FPS games then that doesn’t matter – but we won’t count it as experience.
Degree apprenticeships at the University of Exeter
The University of Exeter is one of the fastest-rising, fastest-growing universities in the UK. We are a UK top 10 institution and are ranked in the top 100 universities in the world according to the Times Higher Education World University Rankings. Our students are consistently among the most satisfied in the UK according to the National Student Survey and we are a member of the prestigious Russell Group of research-intensive universities.
Degree Apprenticeships are a new way of studying. They offer a fully-funded pathway to higher education being paid for by the government and the employer – students will not be required to pay any tuition fees for the duration of the programme.
The Degree Apprenticeship uniquely combines the undergraduate university experience with paid employment and industrial experience. As a graduate of this programme you can be expected to leave with a full University of Exeter degree, no student debt and a job. Degree Apprentices will have full membership of the University, extending to academic, welfare and career support as well as access to societies and sports clubs where these fit with your employment.
The University of Exeter is one of only two Russell Group universities offering this Degree Apprenticeships in 2016.
We are delighted to be able to offer this apprenticeships for 2016 with Aspidistra Software and would encourage applications from ambitious and talented candidates with (or predicted) AAB or equivalent at A-level.
To read more about the BSc (Hons) Digital and Technology Solutions programme, visit: www.exeter.ac.uk/undergraduate/degrees/computerscience/digital-technology-2016/